Monday, October 3, 2011

Worms, Kittens, Cows, and Children.

Yes...these are the three things that have been most taking up my time the past week or so. I'll start with kittens and cows.

As most of you who know me well know, I love and always have loved animals...all types, all sizes, I love them. However, the animals here in Haiti are not really the cuddly type, willing to sit on your lap, snuggle...etc. I'll share an experience I had with probably the biggest bull I have ever seen in my entire life. This happened awhile ago, but that doesn't matter now does it? I was spending a few weeks in Meno, up in the mountains outside of Jacmel. I had taken a short walk to go buy a soda. Feeling good and independent, knowing most of the people in the community, I had decided to go on my own. As I was walking back to the house, down a small portion of the mountain, I came across a bull. A giant bull with giant, giant horns. GIANT, I tell you. I stopped right where I was, looked at the bull, he looked at me and then I realized that he was not tied to anything. I looked around to see what other route I could take, and saw none. SO...I had to go for it. I tried to give the bull as wide of a birth as I possibly could...my heart was beating out of my chest, and I was just about ready to pee my pants. Yet at the same time, it was almost as if I was outside of the situation looking down at how ridiculously funny it was, I started laughing. As I was just about to pass the bull I heard it move and grunt...next thing I know this GIANT BULL was chasing me down the mountain. I ran as fast as I could yelling "AMWAY, AMWAY, M AP MOURI!!! HELP, HELP, I'M GONNA DIE!!!" (a little dramatic, perhaps...). Finally I saw a small, narrow path that lead right to my house, I ran into the path and luckily the bull was too large to pass through. I reached my house completely out of breath, but laughing hysterically. Everyone at the house wanted to know what was going on, and as I told them they literally fell on the floor laughing. Now, whenever I come across a cow/cull/calf/donkey/horse/goat/etc. (which is everyday, several times a day) I make sure either give it a HUGE space, or simply find another route.

Now for the kittens...

You all know I especially have a soft spot for kittens. Ever since May I have been telling myself I'm going to find or buy a kitten and make it my pet here. Due to all the moving around I did, I realized that wouldn't be practical and it would be better to just wait. Well...it just so happens that the house I am in now has three brand new kittens (well, now they are about a month old), AND three brand new puppies. For the past few weeks I have been trying desparately to get at least one of these kittens to warm up to me... IMPOSSIBLE. I give them food (out of my own food!), milk, I try to hold them...with not luck. Instead they turn, look at me right in the face...hiss, scratch, and bite their way out of my arms. However, perhaps the funniest part of all of this is that everyone in my house thinks I am CRAZY for all of this. They sit there laughing hysterically and watch my feverishly and desparatly trying to get these cats to like me, thinking I am crazy. Well, you can all rest assured that I will not give up...one day these kittens will love me.

WORMS...I know you have all been waiting for this one. Well, I have worms. Nothing serious at all, really...just gross and funny. Yep, thats about all I have to say about that.

Now for the children...
Last week Courtney and I were able to participate in one of Beyond Borders/ Limye Lavi's trainings. The training was Monday-Friday, from 8-3 and was on the ESK (Edikasyon se yon Konvesasyon/Education is a Conversation) Method. It was given by Guyto, a staff member here in Haiti. It was absolutely fascinating to be able to participate. Courtney and I were able to learn so much, not only about the ESK method, but about how people here look at and view children and children's rights. The ESK method works for children's rights, making sure they are in school, teaching parents/guardians/etc how to deal with children in other ways than beating them, verbal violence, etc. The method is wonderful because it is all based upon discussion. Groups of 10-20 people are formed in different communities, where the groups work through a series of 5 books, each on a different subject, over a period of 5 months. The books touch on sexual violence, physical violence (fighting/beating), verbal abuse, importance of communication between children and adults, and good examples of parenting. Each session a story is read, questions are posed, a short skit is played out, and the people in the group discuss the story, questions, etc. It was great to be able to participate in the discussions and share stories, opinions, and thoughts with everyone else. The changes that I saw when looking at and hearing what people were saying in the beginning of the training in comparison to thoughts and ideas at the end of the training were pretty amazing and encouraging. I am continually impressed and encouraged by the work of Beyond Borders and Limye Lavi in this beautiful country. Change is coming, slowly but surely.

I've been here for six months now...looking back, these past few months have flown by! I'm sure the next six months will too. I'm not sure what the future holds for me, but I know that more time in Haiti is a given. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you (hopefully) when I come home for a visit in December.

Until next time!

-Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sarah D while I was reading the Bull Big Horns story I could totally picture step by step you creeping on by and with each step i thought,"Shes in the clear, she's good." But when I read that grunt and then pictured you flying up that hill I just about fell outta my chair laughing and made the family gather around to read it.I love you and your charming Haitian animal attempts.

    ReplyDelete